Friday, October 5, 2007

This is it!

This is it. Today kicks off my 20th high school reunion weekend. I don't know if one word would be sufficient to describe how I feel about it.

First of all, I hated high school. Several classes both before and behind my class have commented on how awful my class was, clique-wise. I never fit in. Was never "accepted" socially. Had no real friends in my class. Never dated anyone in my own class...well, there was ONE person ONE time. And despite the fact that it's been more than two decades since we walked across that stage and went our separate ways, there are classmates who act exactly as they did in high school.

To be fair, most haven't. But there are a few who just don't want to let go. Back then, it was my dad who didn't have the right job or the right amount of income or whatever. I didn't wear the right clothes or drive the right car. And I think my boobs were too big. Now, it me who doesn't make enough money. I'm sure I still don't drive the right car. So many were so shallow then and are still shallow now.

I don't think I'll ever come to the place where I can say I have enough friends. And more than that, having friends who are my same age is important to me. Not that my older and younger friends aren't "good enough." But having someone who is at the same stage in life that I'm in would be nice.

Mike is going with me, of course. I couldn't go without him. He even told me he was trying to figure out ways to make the girls I graduated with jealous. I love him!

No comments: