Thursday, September 4, 2008

The strange world we live in

Well, my dad keeps telling me that the best cure for some of these frustrations in my life is to avoid them. True enough. I need to stay away from some things to keep me sane. But there are some that, like the Sirens, are too compelling to resist.

Many years ago, I was drawn into the gender debate. It has always interested me in every format I've encountered it. Some history: I was supposed to be a boy. Not to sound confused about my gender as it is. Not at all! But I grew up hearing from my parents that they wanted a boy and expected me to be a boy (I kicked hard, apparently) but got me instead. For the record, I wouldn't want to be male. I like being a woman and most all that it entails.

But I'm not the kind of woman who fits stereotypes. In fact, if you were to take an inventory of my personality traits, you'd think I was a man if you didn't know otherwise. Here lately, I've been watching and occasionally adding my voice to the debate over women in ministry and the role of women in the home, church and community at large.

On one side are the complimentarians. They are usually represented by the Council for Biblical Manhood and Womanhood. They are usually characterized as evangelical, fundamentalist, traditional and so on. They are usually the ones who are concerned about order and tradition and hierarchy and who's in charge.

On the other side are the egalitarians. They are usually represented by the Council for Biblical Equality. They are usually characterized as seeking mutuality and equality and free opportunity for women to be pastors and elders.

But I've been noticing that some on both sides are really mean. Some of the comps seem to be convinced that admitting that a woman might be able to teach a man or lead in anything other than a nursery is the swift path to downright anarchy and, let's just say it: hell. I've heard some say that allowing a woman to preach on a Sunday morning (not be a pastor, mind you, just preach) is a "grave moral concern."

On the egal size, it seems that they see abuse around every corner. If you're not for the free expression of gifts by all, you're an abuser yourself. Harsh words are often flung by both sides. Usually, if you don't agree with one side or the other, your ability to study scripture, your dedication to biblical authority and even your salvation are called into question.
My usual response has been to close the browser windows and get back to my real world where my gender doesn't matter. But is that exactly right?
I'm coming to see that it does matter. Areas that I thought were free of this gender prejudice are not. It's caused me to stop and re-evaluate where I'm at and what I'm doing and really seek to see if I'm doing what I need to be doing right now.
Or, maybe it's just that I'm staring down a milestone birthday and I'm evaluating where I am, where I've been and where I'm going.
Couldn't it be both?

2 comments:

Drea said...

You my dear friend have just stated the reason I don't attend church anywhere on a regular basis. Lack of faith? Nope. I am just fed up with all the CRAP at these places.

It would be nice to see Jesus walking around in these places but alas........he isn't. I have found more time to contemplate the Lord on the back of Dave's bike while we are riding to some place to be alone than I have had in ANY church in the past 10 years............yep, that includes the Hillside Baptist Church and all it's Holier Than Thou Crowd!

Tami Martin said...

From what I've seen visiting my parents, there's not much left of that particular crowd at HBC. Which, in my mind, is good riddance.